Tuesday 17 July 2012

Record Breaker

Okay, so it's been two weeks since I last posted. I've been meaning to - honest, it's just that I've been busy running (most of the time).

Excuses out of the way, I can get on with it. I'm feeling so positive about Berlin now - last night I broke three of my PB's in one, mad, running swoop. I took four minutes off my 10km time, ran further and ran for longer than I ever have before. This pleases me greatly. I am so competitive it's sometimes scary - and although I mostly just battle with myself, I love it when I am better at something than I ever thought I could be.

Last night I ran 12km. I was aiming for 16km (10 miles) and although I am kicking myself this morning for not cracking it, last night I was beyond pleased. I was running 40seconds/km faster than my last 10km and it felt good. My legs are sore today - but no pain, no gain. I could've run for longer - it's just that I got... Well, bored of running. 

So this is it - I know I can manage the physical side of this running lark - I'm in better shape than I ever have been (apart from my dastardly post-baby tummy wobble, which I'm not sure I'll ever get rid of), but mentally - well, that needs work.

The book I have chosen to help my training (The non-runner's guide to marathon running) has a whole section in it dedicated to the psychology of running for such long distances - more than ever this is something I need to focus on.

It also occurred to me last night that I never get thirsty while running. When I first started out, taking on fluids used to give me the dreaded stitch, so I stopped. Even after my run last night I wasn't particularly parched. So this is something I need help with. When are the best times to drink? What about energy gels? I know nothing about these things. So, if anyone out there knows anything about this kind of stuff, I'll be eternally grateful for a little advice.

If I can keep upping my distances by 3km each week, I'll be at my target come race day. Finally, it's manageable. I'm excited.

Sam x

You can sponsor me, if you're feeling generous. I'll be eternally grateful, and so will the lovely people at Children with Cancer, who I am honoured to be running for: http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/weruntheworld

No comments:

Post a Comment