Monday 9 April 2012

Rainy Day Games

I love running in the rain - there's something about getting drenched as you splash around the streets; it makes me run faster and I always feel amazing when I get home. Maybe that's why Tough Mudder is so appealing. Pounding hot tarmac around a flat marathon route is just not for me, but that's not to say I don't have a huge amount of respect for those who can - crikey, anyone who can run almost 30 miles is a superhero in my eyes.
Anyway, I headed out this morning before I had chance to talk myself out of it and it felt amazing just to be outside and running. I took it really steady, petrified I would not only aggravate my existing injury, but maybe jolt something else and be out for even longer.
Dr Lucy told me that progesterone, which you produce when you're breastfeeding, makes your joints looser, especially around your pelvic region and that recovery takes much longer. The hip injury I picked up a month ago is still painful and although it isn't as bad as it was, it's still the reason I stopped just short of two miles today. I have a physio appointment tomorrow which I am really looking forward to - I'm hoping they're going to be able to fix me, and offer advice on how I can warm up properly to prevent any future injuries. That said, we've now introduced solid food into Ruby's diet so I'll be giving up feeding her myself shortly - hopefully that will also make a difference.
I think that if I'd thought my route through a little better this morning I would've been able to push on a little further - unfortunately I was too busy concentrating on breathing and putting one foot in front of the other to notice where I was going, and ended up finishing on a nasty incline. That said, I was pretty proud of myself for running the last half km uphill - it was touch and go, and I nearly vommed at the end of the road, but I was so determined I actually ran it faster than the previous half km. My hip started to feel very twinge-y by that point, so I walked the remainder of the way home - it's still hurting a little but I was so happy I'd finally managed to get out there I couldn't care less.
This week, I'm going to let Jillian Michaels beast me around my living room every day and we have a group training session on The Stray. I'm really looking forward to seeing how Team Raw has progressed, although I will secretly hate them all for being amazing when I haven't been able to train. Apparently we'll be focusing on lifting, pulling and core strength so hopefully I won't have fallen too far behind.
Lastly, all my hard work seems to be paying off - I have now lost all my baby weight and am half a stone lighter than before I was pregnant - maybe there's something to be said for all this clean living malarkey... I might have a little glass of vin rouge to celebrate.

Sam x

No comments:

Post a Comment